Differentiated worksheets, games and craft activities to complement The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Great for supporting teaching of food, days of the week, the butterfly lifecycle, colours and numbers, while developing fine motor skills, literacy skills, social skills and understanding of the world. SEE PREVIEW FOR CLOSE-UPS OF COMPLETE CONTENTS.
Activities are specifically designed to allow for differentiation of ability and context and come complete with COMPREHENSIVE ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS that help promote higher engagement, interaction and language that goes beyond word level.
Find coloring sheets, color by number sheets, What food do you like? find and stick, mini-books, 3D butterfly lifecycle craft, find and stick craft, board games, sequencing cards, matching cards, mini-cards and flashcards.
* Colouring sheets – There are 4 different sheets to choose from. See the activity suggestions for fun interactive ways to maximise language practice.
* Colour by number sheets – Choose one of the three options to practise colour and number recognition and create an attractive multi-colored caterpillar.
* What food do you like? Find and stick – Encourage children to talk about their food preferences, while learning the food vocabulary from the story.
* Mini-books – Differentiate according to abilities in your group by choosing among these eight different mini-books. Focus on sequencing, literacy, oral comprehension or production to create fun books that the kids can take home and re-tell the story to their families and friends.
* 3D Butterfly lifecycle craft – Kids learn about the butterfly lifecycle, while creating this 3D butterfly. Stand on its own or turn it into a mobile. Different versions are available so you can choose whether to include tracing, reading, sticking or colouring elements.
* Find and stick craft – Children make a fun fold out card with a fat caterpillar full of food. Great for practising food vocabulary in the story. Follow the activity suggestions for ways to maximise language practice.
* Board games – Fun games to practise a variety of skills. Either print and play or print, create and play. See the activity suggestions for great ideas for dynamic language practice.
* Sequencing Cards – Follow the suggestions for games you can play to consolidate key story language, days of the week and food. Black and white options are included so that kids can make their own sets and take them home to play with their families. These also work great in literacy stations and for retelling the story in pairs or groups.
* Matching Cards – Use these cards to play fun matching and memory games.
* Mini-cards – Excellent for a range of games and matching tasks. Sets include key story character and nature vocabulary, food, days of the week and separate food per day cards. Print multiple sets for pair and small group work.
* Flash Cards – Use in a variety of ways to introduce and practice new language, develop literacy skills or as visual prompts for language games.
The above images demonstrate what is provided in this pack. Download the preview for a closer look at the pack contents: Download Preview The entire pack contains 237 pages of information and resource templates!
Please note The Very Hungry Caterpillar story is not provided with this resource but is available in major book stores.
See the preview for the SUGGESTED LANGUAGE FOCUS and the complete list of vocabulary items included in the card sets.
This activity pack is supplied as a PDF file and is not editable.
Please note that parts of this resource require to be printed and self assembled.For best results Kids Club English recommends that you laminate flash / mini / matching cards for improved durability. Laminating materials are not included.
If you are interested in helping kids learn English through stories, songs and craft, please get in touch. I’m keen to collaborate with like-minded people and welcome feedback.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar – Activity Pack – Worksheets, Crafts, Games, Cards