Differentiated worksheets, games and craft activities to complement The Smartest Giant in Town by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. Great for supporting teaching of clothes vocabulary, animal vocabulary, as well as useful story language, including superlatives, expressing purpose and expressing desires. At the same time, learners develop fine motor skills, literacy skills, social skills and understanding of the world.
Activities are specifically designed to allow for differentiation of ability and context and come complete with COMPREHENSIVE ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS that help promote higher engagement, interaction and language that goes beyond word level.
The above images demonstrate what is included in this pack. Download The Smartest Giant in Town Preview for a closer look at the pack contents: Download Preview The entire pack contains 293 pages of information and resource templates!
This pack includes ALL of the following:
* Coloring sheets – There are 4 different sheets to choose from. See the activity suggestions for fun interactive ways to maximise language practice.
* Line matching sheets– Children match the clothes items to the story characters. Choose which worksheet suits you best: trace lines, follow lines, draw lines, trace words and/or complete gapfills to practice spelling.
* Jigsaws – There are 3 different jigsaws. Each one has three different difficulty levels – 15 piece, 9 piece and 5 piece jigsaws. Follow the activity suggestions for inspiration on ways to maximise language practise and include dynamic elements.
* Story slider craft – A fun tool that kids can make to practise sequencing skills, while consolidating language from The Smartest Giant in Town story. Perfect for sharing with families.
* Clothes flipbook – A fun craft resulting in a book with split pages. Turn the top and bottom sections to create fun combinations of the giant and the character animals wearing different clothes. Choose between labelling pages, gapfill pages and freestyle pages.
* Clothes sort! sheets – Different variations of two types of sorting sheets: top half / bottom half clothes sort OR parts of the body clothes. Focus only on the story clothes or include extended clothes vocab then cut and paste. Templates include coloring sheets too.
* Song booklet – Create a simple booklet with the Smartest Giant song. Choose to use it as a simple coloring book or print the templates with gapfills to include literacy practice. Creates a simple but effective record of learning.
* Roleplay headbands / puppets – Print and make into puppets or masks to use in acting out the story. See the Activity Suggestions for fun ideas.
* Bingo games and craft – Choose between small or large boards. Focus on story clothes or extended clothes. Print and laminate these bingo card sets for multiple use and/or use the provided templates for students to create their own.
* Board games – Choose between different versions of this fun game for children to practice BOTH animal and clothes vocabulary. Follow the game play suggestions for ideas on how to naturally incorporate extended story language. Kids can also create their own version of the game in a cut and paste activity.
* Write and draw templates – a range of templates, with and without guidelines for kids to complete any related project.
* Matching Cards– Use these cards to play fun matching and memory games.
* Mini-cards – Excellent for a range of games and matching tasks. Sets include clothes, animals and other key story language vocabulary. Print multiple sets for pair and small group work.
* Flash Cards – Use in a variety of ways to introduce and practice new language, develop literacy skills or as visual prompts for language games.
Please note the Smartest Giant story is not provided with this resource but is available in major book stores.
See the preview for the SUGGESTED LANGUAGE FOCUS. It includes a complete list of vocabulary items included in the card sets and other structures and phrases that you can practise with the activities. Download Preview
This activity pack is supplied as a PDF file and is not editable.
Please note that parts of this resource require to be printed and self assembled.For best results Kids Club English recommends that you laminate flash / mini / matching cards for improved durability. Laminating materials are not included.
If you are interested in helping kids learn English through stories, songs and craft, please get in touch. I’m keen to collaborate with like-minded people and welcome feedback.
Write a Review
The Smartest Giant in Town Activity Pack – Crafts, Worksheets, Games, Flashcards